Forums Posts

Search Forums:

Water Pressure

Last Post 6/05/2013 9:32:28 AM by 2 replies.
Sort Posts:

Water Pressure

03-05-2013 05:45 PM
Joined 16-04-2013 01:03 PM
Posts 16
Council has recently installed a PRV to reduce pressures in an area of town that has been prone to frequent water main breakage. A transportable home village in the area has reported that their internal fire hydrant system has just failed its annual Fire
Service Flow Test Certificate for the first time as the most disadvantaged hydrant failed to deliver 10 l/s @ 150 kPA.

Council is still providing a reasonable pressure (350-400kPA) at the site boundary where the property water service is provided. The reduced pressure protects our pipe asset, hopefully prolonging its life and reduces potential water loss.

What would be Council's obligation in this regard?

Re: Water Pressure

06-05-2013 12:44 AM
Joined 18-04-2013 03:07 PM
Posts 6
I doubt there is a firm "right" answer to this conundrum. Legally you are probably providing an acceptable level of service, but in terms of natural justice you have also changed the level of service unilaterally and the landowner has a justifiable complaint against you.
if it was me at Dubbo I'd be negotiating a settlement to share the cost of some internal pipe work, or a pressure pump, to get the development back to compliance. The share you end up paying will be a judgement call, not a hard and fast set amount. To me the damage to reputation for Council, and yourself in the eyes of Councillors, would make it essential to "do a deal".
Stewart McLeod. Dubbo City Council.

Re: Water Pressure

06-05-2013 09:32 AM
Joined 24-04-2013 03:37 PM
Posts 18
What is the minimum service standard that you have specified in your Strategic Business Plan? If you are still meeting that, I believe you would have no obligation. As an analogy if your Council had approved additional development which resulted in a similar reduction (assuming as the pressure at the gate is 350 -400kPa the failure is in the flow rate) then I don't think you would be asking this question on the forum!
<< back


1 Coral Avenue (by appointment), Tuncurry New South Wales 2428 | Phone (02) 6555 6249 © All Rights Reserved | Sitemap | Website by PegboardCo